Wednesday 3 February 2010

Job Interviews, Boyfriends and Bad Popcorn...

I just realised I've not done an update for a few days, and not because I don't love you, it's because I'm just the worst. Love you Helen!

So tonight I have my first job interview! Woo and yay! It's at Aldo which is the place where the woman behind the counter almost molested me on the floor because she thought my outfit was cute, so I think I have a decent enough chance. Plus I really want cheap shoes and when you come over I can get you some cheap shoes too :) alriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! Oh and also we went to the cinema last night to see Up In The Air, the movie was great BUT WHY DO THEY NOT HAVE SWEET POPCORN IN CANADA?! For reals! They just don't have it! I had to have salted because they didn't have anything else!!! SHOCKER!

I have also found Toronto's equivalent of Magnolia cafe, it's called Java Hut and everything's really cheap and they do incredible all-day breakfasts! I had french toast yesterday and it was stuffed with cheese and ham and served with home fries and salad for about six bucks, I wasn't so sure about the hardcore trance background it came with but I can let anything slide for cheap food. After that I went job hunting again but since I've got not one but TWO interviews I've stopped being so hard on myself and enjoyed having a nice walk round instead, moseyed on over to Dundas Square too to fill out an application at Hard Rock and considered bribing them with money and witty jokes to let me have a job. It started snowing after that, so I made my little way back to the hostel and noticed that the snowflakes in Canada are so big that they actually look like glitter! It was so lovely, it looked like the fake snow you see in Santa's grottos at Christmas, I will try and get a good photo today :)

Sunday and Monday were both slightly unproductive...Sunday we didn't even get out of the hostel til about 3pm because Kelly and I were ever-so-slightly hungover and also because well, I'm useless aren't I? We were all really craving a Sunday lunch but then I came up with the GENIUS idea of going to Wayne Gretsky's as we had tried to get in there the night before but it was too full! And oh my gawdddddd, what an idea it was. I had a pulled pork sandwich with bbq sauce and I could probably have got married to it, had Canadian law approved of such. Soz vegetarians. Then we went to a comedy night at the Fox and Fiddle which is just round the corner from our hostel. As expected from an amateur comedy night there were the usual cringe-inducingly bad jokes - especially from one girl who did a whole five-minute set about a fart, and convinced me that in her spare time she stabs household pets - but there was also some comedy gold from one guy who used to play for the Florida Gators and has now turned to stand-up, and also from another gentleman whose best line by far was 'I tried to hit on twins the other day, but only one of them swallowed. The other was the spitting image of her sister'. Oh it was gooood! The bar staff in that pub were really rude though and shouted at Kelly and Tara for trying to take their drinks upstairs - apparently they had to get someone to carry them upstairs for them?! Weird, weird, weird!

Monday I took off by myself and went to find Kensington Market, because everyone had banged on about it so damn much! Of course I got slightly lost on my way to find it but it was worth it once I actually made it. It's a really visually exciting place - old Victorian houses with bright, colourful painted exteriors, that have been turned into vintage shops and cafes with big stalls outside, houses that would otherwise look like any house in Hyde Park, except that Bobat's not banging on any of the doors and letting himself in while we're asleep! :) I also found 'The Hot Box' cafe, and I know that you know what sort of fare that place sells. I think I might try and get some people to go. You know, when in rome and all that! That night we went to Gretsky's AGAIN for All You Can Eat wings, oh my godddd so delicious. The hostess recognised us though and made some comment about us always being there and we felt quite the douchebags! Whooops.

I have loads more to update you on since Monday though, but not anywhere near enough time to do it! So I'll come back to you tomorrow with a bullet-point run down of everything I've forgotten...watch this space! :)

Love youuuuuuuu!xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment