Sunday 28 February 2010

These Girls Are Craaaaaaaaazy (Part 2)

The rest of my week, I'm afraid to admit, was distinctly uneventful. Life in the hostel wasn't fun anymore, it was just a pain in the ass, because I was having to get up earlyish for work and having to go find a bathroom to get ready in (and piss everyone off in the process) because I couldn't switch on the light in my room since everyone would still be sleeping. So I was stoked on life when yesterday (Saturday) finally rolled around! It was my mum's 60th birthday yesterday so I got to speak to her on Skype on my break at work in the cafe next-door which made me super happy, and straight after work I legged it back to the hostel, chucked all my stuff in a taxi and moved the hell in to my apartment!! I won't talk about how awkward the moving-in process was..I definitely already told you...but let me tell you that unpacking my suitcases and hanging up my clothes was more enjoyable than should probably even be allowed without supervision from an appropriate authority! Well I was being supervised, as Kelly had kindly popped over the road to help, she offered to assist me in unpacking but I just said 'honestly, no, I really am enjoying doing this' so she cooked me tea at her place instead, bless her, and we watched Failure To Launch (part of the Matthew McConaghey triple bill!) because she has cable TV in her room. Damn I miss adverts so much!!!!!

My first night in my apartment wasn't the best I must admit, you know I don't sleep well in unfamiliar environments and I had a whole range of new smells, sounds, sights and shites to get used to so I ended up going to work on two hours' sleep...not the best. This was clearly demonstrated by me completely misreading my work schedule and arriving almost a whole hour early...as in an hour before the shop even opened! Faillllll! So I went across the road to the Eaton Centre where some kind of early-morning dance class was taking place, right in the middle of the shopping mall, went to the food court and got an enormous McDonalds coffee and read my book. Lovely! When I finally started work it was disgracefully dead (blame the Olympics!) and I also had to deal with my first rude customer which didn't exactly detract from my sleep-deprived grumpiness and general boredom with standing around all day and occasionally hanging up some clothes. Never mind.

My day improved considerably though when I bit the bullet and asked Fubu if he could hook up guestlist for the NFG show...I do hate asking most of the time but there simply weren't tickets and if you don't ask, you don't get! He asked Chris of Fireworks if they had any spare slots (because apparently NFG hate when people ask...understandable) and eventually it came clear that there were no slots but there might be some tickets. At 30 bucks a pop I was prepared to pay for the tix but I was hoping it would damn well be worth it! At the very last moment, the tickets came through and I called up Tara and Kelly to ask if they wanted to go but they'd already made other plans for the evening and didn't really want to part with 30 bucks, which was fair enough. So I decided to ask Andy if she wanted to go, she'd said previously that she'd like to go but that she didn't have that kind of money spare but I was so pumped on going to the show that I thought it was worth an ask, I even offered to buy her ticket I wanted to go so bad. She said yes after checking her bank funds, but then as if by a stroke of a miracle Fubu texted me and told me that I was now on the guestlist with the tickets waiting under my name, this was at almost 6.30pm with Fireworks playing at 7pm so I went like streaked lightning over to the subway station to go meet Andy who was collecting me in her car ('Vicky, I just washed my hair in like, 20 seconds'...hahaha). Let me tell you that getting through the subway system was hard work, Canada had just taken gold and all out on the streets the cars were stopping in the road, people were waving their flags and yelling and dancing and high-fiving everyone and the underground was no different! When I got to the station Andy was picking me up at, I was waiting by the road and four dudes in a car drove past, leaned out their window and said. 'Hey, we've been send on behalf of the TTC (Toronto Transport Commission) to collect hot girls. Get in'. I just retorted 'UNNNNNLUCKY' and prayed Andy got here fast hahaha!

The show itself was at the Sound Academy, a warehouse-like venue outside downtown that seemed almost impossible/undesirable to get to if you didn't drive?! Put it this way, Andy locked the car doors when we were driving through the streets to get there! I was gutted when we got there because, as usual, I'd missed Fireworks, but not to worry too much as Hellogoodbye, Saves The Day and NFG were still to come! We found Chris of Fireworks fame, who had sorted out our list, and you know how I'm really awful at remembering everything? Well Chris was who I was hanging out with loads at Fuel that one and only time that we went and his mates beat up the Santa Claus!!! Honestly when he reminded me of that I was like OH MY GAWDDDDDD! The fog just cleared! I'm such a douche :( He was being such a dude introducing me to his female friends from Toronto and 'getting me in the social circle' hahaha! So good!

Back to the show, Hellogoodbye were fun and Andy liked them (she's never heard them before), HGB sound a lot heavier live which was hilarious! I'm sorry, Saves The Day, but your set was not hilarious. I do love a bit of Saves The Day, especially in the summer, but to watch them live is like watching paint dry. It's just like how I adore Death Cab For Cutie, but as soon as you stick them on stage, I'd rather be anywhere else. Just not gripping viewing in the slightest.

However, NFG's set was worth all the effort alone! Everyone was being thoroughly entertained before they played by a dude in the audience who was just rocking out to the overhead music like it was his last day on earth (you know there's always one...just like how there's always one, or a million, in the NFG shirts. Present and correct) but since it was the 10th anniversary tour of the NFG self-titled album, they played that in its entirety...my 15 year old self was crowd-surfing her little heart out! Jordan's voice blows me away, he never falters for entire sets, he consistently sounds like he's got a cold and I love it. Bless him. I love him. And his cold! They went off stage for a bit, acted like that was that, and then came back on with a different backdrop and played a bunch of 'new' stuff. They finished with My Friends Over You...of course...it's the song of the century I heard!

<br />         Tweeting this for @vickybreadcake :) woot

After the show Andy drove me home, she had some other friends in the car and as we drove through downtown the celebrations were still in full flow, so we wound down the windows and cheered at passers-by! Haha :) We also noticed that the CN Tower was lit up GOLD!!!

<br />         The Gold CN Tower for @vickybreadcake and for @chriztyna to see

We got stuck behind a streetcar, but then we noticed that there was a passenger on the streetcar who was full-on bumping, grinding, shimmying and shaking with the pole, the seat and other passengers...god knows whether or not there was any music to accompany his dances but it most definitely topped off my night in the most appropriately ridiculous fashion!

Look forward to the following blogs from Vicky-land, coming in the next week or so...

- Through The Peehole - first exclusive shots of my apartment!...when I've got some damn furniture and I'm not using a carrier bag as my knicker drawer!
- Niagara Fails - We're going on 'holiday' to Niagara Falls this weekend and intend to get soaked, gamble and terrorise some hotel residents probably, so look forward to that one!
- Tard Rock Cafe - will Vicky get a job that doesn't make her want to kick everyone?
- Trapped Under Rice Krispies, Polar Bear Club Sandwich, Four Year Strongbow and Every Time I Pie - oh my god HELL YES we are road tripping to see these bands play together, possibly to more than one date! I think the correct term is 'TICK'

Ok bed time now, job interview in the morning...can't be late to my THIRD GODDAMN INTERVIEW THERE!

Love youuuuuu! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment